Molly Citro, the leader of McKinleyville High’s championship girls golf team, signed a letter of intent to play collegiate golf at Marymount University (Arlington, Va.), Monday afternoon at Beau Pre Golf Course in McKinelyville.Citro was the 2018 Humboldt-Del Norte League individual champion, captaining her Panthers to a second-straight North Coast Section Division-II title last season. The McKinleyville girls are the only team in the H-DNL to have captured a section title, let alone two, in …
21 February 2014 South Africa will enter a new “radical phase” of economic transformation over the next five years to address poverty, unemployment and inequality, President Jacob Zuma said in Cape Town on Thursday. Replying to the debate on the State of the Nation address in Parliament, Zuma said South Africa had achieved social transformation over the past 20 years, and the emphasis would now be on economic transformation to ensure that black people also owned the economy. It would be a phase “of focusing on economic transformation in particular,” Zuma said. “We have achieved political freedom, now we have to achieve economic freedom and ensure that the owner of the economy is deracialised.” He added that the New Growth Path, which promotes local manufacturing, the National Infrastructure Plan and the Industrial Policy Action Plan would continue to shape the government’s policy agenda. Zuma said work was underway to establish a BBBEE commission to regulate and oversee empowerment transactions related to South Africa’s black economic empowerment policies. Despite the country’s employment equity policies, equity reports indicated that the economy was still in the hands of the white minority. “We must therefore intensify the implementation of affirmative action policies in order to deepen reconciliation and social cohesion in our country. I think it is important to look at reality … to take those who were left outside and bring them into the economy.” Responding to opposition parties’ criticisms over job creation, Zuma said they failed to give credit where it was due. All the jobs that had been lost during the 2008-09 global economic crisis had been recovered over the past five years and the economy had in fact created additional new jobs. He said the Jobs Fund, which was created in 2011, had approved 66 projects and committed more than R3-billion to job-creating enterprises. To date, more than 8 000 new permanent jobs and 4 000 short-term jobs had been created through the fund, while more than 25 000 beneficiaries had received training. The country’s development finance institutions, meanwhile, had also been directed to invest in job creating projects, Zuma said. The Industrial Development Corporation (IDC) had approved more than R50-billion in new industrial funding since 2009, in projects ranging from agro-processing, film-making, the auto sector, steel and engineering, clothing and textiles, mining, the green economy and tourism. And the Public Investment Corporation (PIC) had committed in excess of R38-billion to enhancing the productivity of the real economy through economic and social infrastructure, enterprise development and renewable energy. Source: SAnews.gov.za
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest Members of the Amanda-Clearcreek FFA Chapter competed in the District 7 Job Interview CDE and qualifying members moved on to the State competition. The participants were: Jullian Scott – Freshman Job Interview Division, Ellie Sahr – Sophomore Job Interview Division, Emma Dearth – Junior Job Interview Division, Jesse Schooley – Senior Job Interview Division and Harrison Poor – First year Junior/Senior Job Interview Division. The members competed in the District 7 CDE on November 19th at Clear Fork Valley High School and the members that qualified went to the State competition on December 2nd. To qualify to advance to the state, the FFA member must win their respective division.Our members did exceptionally well at the District 7 competition where they all placed in very respectful placings. Jullian Scott earned 2nd place in her division, Ellie Sahr earned 10th place , Emma Dearth earned 1st place, Jesse Schooley earned 8th place and Harrison Poor earned 1st place. Emma Dearth and Harrison Poor moved on to the State Competition on December 2nd because they both placed 1st in their divisions. At the State competition, Emma Dearth and Harrison Poor placed 4th in their individual divisions. Participants in the Job Interview CDE submit a resume, complete job applications and participate in mock job interviews with a panel of possible employers.The members of the chapter did an exceptional job at this competition. They represented the A-C FFA Chapter very well and the chapter is very proud of them. They now contain useful skills that they can use throughout their life as they will soon have to use these skills to start careers.
zoom Some 124 ships out of 227 ships broken in the third quarter of 2017 ended up on beaches in South Asia for dirty and dangerous breaking, the latest report from NGO Shipbreaking Platform shows.A total of 42 ships were sent for demolition to Turkey, 35 to China, and 26 were scrapped in the rest of the world.Shipowners continue to sell their tonnage to infamous beaching yards in South Asia as it brings in more money. As explained by the Platform, there is little or no investments in proper infrastructure to contain pollutants and ensure safe working conditions, the proper disposal of hazardous wastes is overlooked, and migrant workers are exploited.Moreover, the prices offered for ships this third quarter have been high in South Asia, especially when compared to the figures of the first half of the year. Monsoon rains caused a shortage of local product being available to the domestic steel mills and have, therefore, driven prices for end-of-life ships up, the report said.Whilst a South Asian beaching yard can pay about USD 400/LDT, Turkish yards are currently paying slightly less than the USD 250/LDT offered by Chinese yards.NGO Shipbreaking Platform said that Greek shipowners have sold the most ships to the beaching yards with 11 beached vessels this quarter, followed by South Korea and Singapore with 6 vessels each. Shipping companies from the United States sold 5 vessels.“Singaporean Continental Shipping Line remains the worst corporate dumper, though it currently shares this position with the Greek Anangel Shipping Enterprises and the Iranian Iran Shipping Lines. In total, these companies had three vessels each beached in South Asia in this quarter,” the Platform added.According to the report, Bermuda-based Berge Bulk, Greek Costamare, Swedish Holy House Shipping, and American SEACOR are close runner-ups, with two ships each sold for beaching.Brazilian-owned product tanker LOBATO, which was reportedly sold by Petrobras to Indian breakers, ended up on the shores of Chittagong instead. No tanker was sold to the Gadani yards in Pakistan following the ban on tankers due to the major explosion on the ship ACES on the 1st of November of last year.Although 33 out of the 124 beached vessels this quarter were European-controlled, only three of these had a European flag when they arrived in South Asia. All ships sold to the beaching yards pass via the hands of scrap-dealers, also known as cash-buyers, that often re-register and re-flag the vessel on its last voyage.Almost half of the ships sold to South Asia this quarter changed flag to the grey- and black-listed registries of Comoros, Niue, Palau, St. Kitts & Nevis, and Togo just weeks before hitting the beach.CasualtiesBetween July and September, one worker lost his life at a shipbreaking yard in Alang, India. Another worker was reported seriously injured in Chittagong, Bangladesh, the report finds.Namely, in September, a worker named Ashok Yadav, was reported killed whilst at work at shipbreaking plot no. 14 in Alang, India. Following his death, a letter denouncing the unsafe working conditions at the shipbreaking yards in Alang was sent to Indian Government officials by Toxics Watch Alliance.Around the same time, Md. Shohag – 21 years old – was hurt while torch-cutting a vessel at Zuma Enterprise in Chittagong, Bangladesh, when an iron plate hit him on the left foot and stomach, causing severe injury, the data from the report indicates.
Lindsay RichardsonAPTN NewsTwo community-based organizations in Nunavik, northern Quebec, will be receiving a million-dollar investment from the provincial government in the hopes of improving quality of life for the region’s elders.“Nunavik has a distinctive character and unique characteristics in Quebec,” Andree Laforest, Minister of municipal affairs and housing, said in a statement Thursday. “Its cultural and linguistic heritage, its art, and the history of its people make it a territory rich in traditions that are essential to preserve.“To achieve this, we must support seniors in order to ensure that they have access to adequate living conditions and that they can pass on their knowledge,” Laforest added.Laforest confirmed that more than $1.8 million provided through the Regional Radiation Support Fund (RARF) would directly fund projects overseen by the Kativik Regional government and the Ayagutaq Inukjuak Seniors House.The boost comes as a part of a province-wide strategy to prioritize senior care and re-distribute resources – news that was well-received by leaders in Nunavik.“For the past four years, our regional councillors and mayors have asked that [these services] be available to seniors,” explained Jennifer Munick, chairperson of the Kativik Regional Government.“It is on their behalf that that Kativik Regional Government expresses its gratitude for the efforts invested in the implementation of this service,” she added.Kativik Regional Government will receive a majority share of the investment – a total of $1.7 million – in order to hire a coordinator in each of Nunavik’s 14 villages on a three-year contract basis.Coordinators will be tasked with “organizing recreational activities for seniors in their community, representing them on various local and regional committees, and facilitating the transmission of traditional knowledge to future generations,” according to a press statement.The funds will also be used in part to implement initiatives prioritizing senior safety, as well as access to traditional food and housing.“The resources we’re investing in will make life easier for these people, thanks to new services such as snow shoveling and sawing,” according to Marguerite Blais, Quebec Minister for Seniors – the province’s first minister appointed specifically to alleviate strain on caregivers and those who support aging loved ones.The 2019-2020 Quebec Budget, tabled by the Coalition Avenir Quebec (CAQ) government, saw a 5.4 per cent overall increase, including $215 million annual investment to hire and retain caregiving staff at long-term care centers and hospitals, $280 million to add home care and support services, as well as $21 million to support “informal” caregivers.A controversial report tabled at the National Assembly in 2018 revealed that senior or long-term care services were “deficient and flawed” under the previous Liberal government – something Premier Francois Legault promised to amend.As part of this most recent announcement, $100,000 will go towards the construction of an eldercare residence for up to 16 people, which will also serve as a day center for all seniors in the community.“This initiative will not only promote the history of the Inuit, but also that of Quebec,” said Sylvie d’Amours, Quebec minister of Indigenous Affairs.firstname.lastname@example.org@sentimtl
Tesco-owned digital store Blinkbox has added support for the UltraViolet digital movie and TV locker service, letting customers access digital versions of physical disks they have bought in-store.Announcing the move, Blinkbox said that customers can now instantly stream or download select DVDs and Blu-rays, marked with the UltraViolet logo, that they have bought as physical discs on a wide variety of devices.Compatible titles can be automatically added to a customer’s UltraViolet library and accessed via Blinkbox once they have registered and entered the redemption code that comes with the disc.“This is about helping movie and TV fans on their journey from physical to digital entertainment while also offering flexibility in how movies and TV shows can be easily shared with family,” said Tesco category director for entertainment, Ian Ditcham.Mark Teitell, general manager of UltraViolet added: “Tesco and Blinkbox have been a notable part of the group of companies that designed and launched UltraViolet. Now, their pioneering roll-out of UltraViolet in the UK is a major step forward in the enjoyment and value that consumers here will get from collecting movies and TV shows.”At launch, titles on sale in Tesco and available to stream or download with UltraViolet include The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Bad Neighbours, Rio 2 and 300 Rise of An Empire.UltraViolet is backed by a consortium of over 70 companies including major studios such as Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment, NBCUniversal and 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment.It was established to create a simple way for consumers to get the most enjoyment from collecting movies and TV shows, whether they buy physical discs or digital titles.The news follows recent reports that Tesco has put Blinkbox up for sale and is said to be reviewing all options, including closing the business if a buyer can’t be found.