• Home
  • Tag: 上海夜网FL

Syracuse offense optimistic at media day despite disappointing 2011 season

first_imgNEWPORT, R.I. – Alec Lemon can see the difference.Ryan Nassib is more confident, more aware of what he and his teammates are doing on the field. With two full years as a starter under his belt, and the Syracuse quarterback often tells offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett what the unit needs to do, rather than the other way around.“Being in that system for three years, he sees the small things, the things the coaches don’t see being on the field,” wide receiver Alec Lemon said. “We take that into consideration. And most of the time he’s right. He’s just taken that leadership step.”Speaking at the Big East’s annual football media day Tuesday at the Hotel Viking, Lemon said Nassib is more tuned in to the finer details that he might’ve missed in the past. Last season, the Orange fell apart, losing its final five games to finish 5-7. SU was picked to finish seventh in the Big East in its last season in the conference, ahead of newcomer Temple.With plenty of weapons in the Orange’s offense entering this season, Nassib and Syracuse are looking to bounce back from their disappointing 2011 campaign. Lemon said he feels 100 percent after suffering a shoulder injury in the spring. The return of Marcus Sales, star of the Pinstripe Bowl two years ago, complements him ideally. Sales finished with 26 receptions for 414 yards receiving in 2010, but he missed last season after being arrested on felony drug charges that were dropped last October.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textWithout Sales last year, the Orange’s offense struggled.“Marcus has done a good job, he’s made big plays for us before so he’s played well. We’re excited,” head coach Doug Marrone said. “He looks good, the best I’ve seen him. I’m excited to see him back on the on the field.”Last season, Syracuse’s offense underachieved, finishing seventh in the Big East in scoring despite Nassib putting up single-season program records in completions with 259 and passing yards with 2,685. It wasn’t a lack of production from Nassib that held the Orange back, but ultimately a shortage of timely, clutch plays from his teammates surrounding him.Dropped catches. Fumbles. All forgettable plays that sent Syracuse’s season in a downward spiral.Marrone has mentioned the “big play” since the spring, and it’s a constant – yet so far elusive – goal.“That’s where we haven’t been as consistent is making plays, especially our wide receivers, quarterbacks, running backs, making those big plays,” Marrone said. “We’re trying to create greater opportunities for these guys to do that, but I feel good.”And for the Orange, once again, it’s another year, another tailback.Syracuse is deep at the running back position, with Jerome Smith, Prince-Tyson Gulley and Adonis Ameen-Moore all giving Marrone formidable options to put into the backfield.But the running game could suffer from having an offensive line that’ll be completely revamped on the right side due to the graduations of Michael Hay and Andrew Tiller. And with senior left tackle Justin Pugh will be out until at least until mid-September.SU has a streak of four straight seasons with a 1,000-yard rusher after Antwon Bailey accomplished the feat in 2011. But the growth of the offensive line, particularly likely starters Lou Alexander and Ivan Foy, will be crucial for the team to duplicate that success.“We’re going on our fourth year trying to have a 1,000-yard rusher and I think we’ve been pretty successful when we’ve run the ball well,” guard Zach Chibane said. “That’s the type of team we are, we take pride in the way we run the football, and it’s a big loss not having Andrew and not having Michael there.”As far as Lemon sees it, Syracuse has talented players ready to go surrounding Nassib.Ashton Broyld has the ability to line up at quarterback and in the backfield. Marrone said he won’t pinpoint a position for him until seeing what he can handle in training camp.“We’ve got a lot of explosive and athletic players coming in,” Lemon said. “It’s just finding those spots to put those athletes on the field. We’ve got a lot of great players and not a lot of spots to put everybody.”After a five-game losing streak to end last season, the offense needs an upgrade. Now mostly healthy, and soon-to-be fully healthy, the unit is looking to move past the team’s late-season collapse in 2011.“Coming off that five-game losing streak, it’s not something we wanted to do, but it’s in the past. We’ll keep it in the past,” Lemon said. “It’s a new team, new players, so we’ll keep it back there and we’ll start fresh in 2012.” Comments Published on July 30, 2012 at 5:42 pm Contact Chris: cjiseman@syr.edu | @chris_iseman Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more

Hearts put squad up for sale amid financial crisis

first_imgHearts will listen to offers for their entire first-team squad in an effort to keep the club afloat.The Edinburgh club said it was the result of other revenue “drying up”, with season ticket sales about half what they were last year at this time.Managing director David Southern told BBC Scotland it is doubtful they will be able to pay players’ wages that are due at the end of this week.Hearts need to raise a “significant six-figure sum” before the weekend.The club faces uncertainty with a debt of £25m – £10m of which is due to their parent company, UBIG, which is claiming insolvency.And the club owes £15m to Ukio Bankas, which has been declared bankrupt .Hearts’ majority shareholder, Vladimir Romanov, who claims to have spent £60m on the club, is seeking a buyer for the Scottish Premier League outfit.In a statement, the club said: “It is now crucial to the football club that we find a solution to bring in enough finance to allow us to trade into the new season when normal trading can resume with the benefit of SPL and game-related income streams.“The board had planned to bring income in through the sale of players while considering the financial forecast for next season, but now this will need to happen much earlier in order to preserve the business”Hearts statement“The payments to HMRC and players/staff salaries are the most important issues in our focus these days where very limited time remains available to the club.“However, given that the revenues for season tickets has dried up and no other realistic income is available quickly enough, the club will consider offers for the players of the current squad, including the most promising talent in order for the most necessary and important payments to be made.” Hearts have had assurances from the administrator handling Ukio’s liquidation that he wishes to keep the football club as a going concern.However, the club says the resulting uncertainty has led to the club’s main source of revenue in the close season – the sale of season tickets – drying up, with around 6,500 being sold so far, leading to problems in paying debts owed to HM Revenue and Customs .“Due to recent unexpected circumstances away from Tynecastle, the club is now experiencing a shortfall in funding,” said the club statement.“This shortfall, due to recent uncertainty, has created a significant noticeable blockage in projected revenue streams for the club.“While this hesitation is understandable, it is unwittingly damaging the club’s current efforts to improve its financial situation, including current payments to HMRC and raising doubts over future payments to players and staff.“The board had planned to bring income in through the sale of players while considering the financial forecast for next season, but now this will need to happen much earlier in order to preserve the business.”Hearts say the financial problems have resulted from their worst league finish in more than 30 years, the absence of Rangers from the SPL and increased costs relating to the Main Stand. “Provided we can achieve security for the club, it is the view of the board that there is a viable strategy for the change of ownership to a willing buyer or investor,” they add.last_img read more

Tyson Hodson, formerly of Wellington, is charged with 2 counts of arson

first_imgby Tracy McCue, Sumner Newscow — Tyson Hodson, born in 1996, formerly of Wellington and now a resident of Atwood, Kans. has been charged with two counts of arson, level 7 non-person felonies in Sumner County District Court.Tyson HodsonIn a district court complaint filed by Sumner County Attorney Kerwin Spencer, Hodson is accused on two separate occasions of setting approximately 56 large hay bales on fire about two miles southwest of the Wellington Municipal Airport in a field belonging to Sumner County farmers Martin Rusk and John Rogers without their consent in May.Hodson, a 2014 Wellington High School graduate, was arrested on the above charges in Rawlins County located in northwestern Kansas on Aug. 6. He was then bonded on Aug. 7 on a $5,000 appearance bond. Hodson is to appear in court in Atwood on Aug. 28, at 9 a.m.Hodson is accused of using a road flare and a signal flare to set several hay bales on fire on two separate occasions in a field at the intersection of 30th Avenue and Ridge Road.On May 13, 44 bales burned before a fire was extinguished by the Wellington Fire Department.Two days later — on May 15 — Hodson allegedly set about 12 large round hay bales on fire at the same field using a road flare.According to the complaint affidavit, Wellington Fire inspector John Faust said the WFD on May 13 at about 2:30 p.m., was dispatched to the first fire and discovered 44 of the 100 bales in the field were on fire.Rusk, the owner of the field, advised the WPD each hay bale was worth $50.  The remaining bales were moved and a fire break was created which protected the remaining 56 bales, the complaint said.Faust said he found Coast Guard flares at the scene which he recognized as the kind sold at the Wellington Wal-Mart Supercenter.These flares are shot from a single shot style flare pistol with the shells being reloaded then expelled. No flare gun was found at the scene, the report said.The fire started with three or four bales which spread to the others, the report said.The wind on May 13 was about 13.8 mph with the temperature of 65 degrees. Faust said in the report that he contacted an employee who works at Wal-Mart Security, who advised the WPD that the last date of sale for a flare kit was April 28, but one was missing from inventory, and might have been stolen.On May 14, Faust installed a trail camera at the scene in case the suspect(s) returned. At 4 p.m. on May 15, Faust checked the camera which was full and he went to download the files at the fire department building, the report said. Before he was able to return, another call came in for another fire in the Rusk field at the same location. This time 10 to 12 bales were on fire. Thirteen bales were consumed in this fire, leaving about 27 bales in the field. The wind was about 8.1 mph with a temperature of 63 degrees.Rusk allegedly called the WPD after a WHS student told him he had heard Hodson and a 16-year-old Wellington male talking about setting the hay bales on fire. On May 20, Faust allegedly contacted Hodson and asked him to come to the fire department for an interview which was set for 2 p.m., but Hodson allegedly did not come to the interview.On May 29, Faust interviewed the 16-year-old male with the mother present. The 16-year-old boy said he was involved in the second fire with Hodson and another male. In the report, the 16-year-old said Hodson had a road flare to set the bales on fire. In the first fire, Hodson allegedly used a signal flare.The WPD interviewed two other boys allegedly involved in the two fires.On June 3, Faust interviewed Hodson for an unrelated car vandalism incident. Hodson allegedly said during that interview he had gone to the hay bale field twice. Once with one boy and the second time with two different boys. Hodson allegedly said in the interview that during the first incident he allegedly shot flares, and on the second time he used road flares.The estimated damage to the hay bales was $1,680 the report said.•••••Hodson is also facing charges with conspiracy to commit criminal damage to property, a level 10 felony and four counts of criminal damage to property. He is accused on May 19, 2014 of conspiring with two other males with picking up rocks from Wheat Country Car Wash and throwing them at various parked cars in Wellington. The incident caused $1,936 damage, according to the complaint.Hodson moved from Wellington to Atwood this summer after his family gained employment at the Atwood School District. Jerry Hodson accepted the school superintendent’s job after serving as curriculum director at Wellington USD 353 for two years. He is a former Wellington Middle School principal. His wife, Jill Hodson, was a Washington Elementary Title One Teacher.Follow us on Twitter. Close Forgot password? Please put in your email: Send me my password! Close message Login This blog post All blog posts Subscribe to this blog post’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Subscribe to this blog’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Follow the discussion Comments (28) Logging you in… Close Login to IntenseDebate Or create an account Username or Email: Password: Forgot login? Cancel Login Close WordPress.com Username or Email: Password: Lost your password? Cancel Login Dashboard | Edit profile | Logout Logged in as Admin Options Disable comments for this page Save Settings Sort by: Date Rating Last Activity Loading comments… You are about to flag this comment as being inappropriate. Please explain why you are flagging this comment in the text box below and submit your report. The blog admin will be notified. Thank you for your input. +45 Vote up Vote down Oh boy · 313 weeks ago This kid was always in trouble at WHS but his daddy always took care of it. I doubt daddy can get him out of this one. Report Reply 1 reply · active 313 weeks ago +9 Vote up Vote down Redress · 313 weeks ago OMG so wrong. Report Reply 0 replies · active 313 weeks ago +24 Vote up Vote down concerned parent · 313 weeks ago at least he didn’t hurt anybody and something may get done about this kid. finally!! Report Reply 1 reply · active 313 weeks ago +18 Vote up Vote down Faganlover · 313 weeks ago That kid seems out of control… You reap what you sow. Teach your children well. Report Reply 0 replies · active 313 weeks ago +12 Vote up Vote down Crusader Pride · 313 weeks ago I know it is easy to cast stones or in this case throw them as hard as you can. But please remember that parenting is a tough thing. Not making excuses for Mr. Hodson, he did bail his kid out way to many times. But how many of us have done the same thing? Just remember that there is also a younger son who is a great kid. So be gentle in your bashing and make sure your closet is perfect…otherwise move on they have. Report Reply 2 replies · active 312 weeks ago +32 Vote up Vote down CueballSumnernewscow 94p · 313 weeks ago I’m going to weigh in on this. You can’t blame parents for everything. There are families across the world who have good kids and bad kids. Good parenting is about teaching your child to do the right thing. It is up to the child to learn those lessons. Some will, some won’t. Report Reply 3 replies · active 313 weeks ago +11 Vote up Vote down guest · 313 weeks ago What about the others that were involved!! Report Reply 1 reply · active 294 weeks ago +4 Vote up Vote down Guest 2 · 313 weeks ago I am not sure as to why the parents were even part of this story to begin with as he is now an adult and will be treated accordingly. I’m quite certain that each and every one of us can say we have done things we are not proud of, or perhaps even our own children. Some of the worst kids turn out to be some of the best adults. It’s up to that individual to determine their fate. Their parents did what any parent would do, defend and love your child. The Hodson’s are good people and shouldn’t be part of a bashing spree. They are not here to defend themselves and again, this is an adult now, so they should be left out of it. I think there are bigger issues within America that we should be discussing vs. setting hay bales on fire etc. Report Reply 0 replies · active 313 weeks ago +4 Vote up Vote down Voodoo Child · 313 weeks ago FREE WILL. What we do with it is simple. Your choices, good or bad, right or wrong. How you decide is freedom of choice and free will. I do believe the use of cameras, such as the trail camera spoken about, by rural property owners might just turn the tide on burglarys and other criminal activity in our county. Kinda of hard to deny your presence or involvement in a crime when your on candid camera. Report Reply 1 reply · active 313 weeks ago -2 Vote up Vote down WHSmom · 313 weeks ago I agree with some of the above comments about blaming the parents..Not their fault..you cannot control your childs action at all times…you can be the best parent and hope that they behave while not in your presence,,,Both Mr and Mrs. Hodson are not at fault.. Report Reply 1 reply · active 312 weeks ago 12Next » Post a new comment Enter text right here! Comment as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments Comments by IntenseDebate Enter text right here! Reply as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Cancel Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new commentslast_img read more